In June last year, Mercedes-Benz introduced the first-ever A-Class Sedan. The company plans to launch it in India by 2021, as per a new report from Autocar India.
The Mercedes A-Class Sedan is not a replacement for the Mercedes CLA, which was renewed just back in January. The report doesn’t say whether Mercedes-Benz plans to sell both first-ever A-Class Sedan and the second-gen CLA or just the former. What’s clear is that to achieve higher volumes in their segment, it will need to locally assemble.
The A-Class Sedan shares the MFA2 platform with the fourth-gen A-Class and the second-gen CLA. The compact sedan is 4,549 mm long, 1,796 mm wide and 1,446 mm high. It has a 2,729 mm wheelbase and a 420-litre boot.
There’s an ‘L’ long-wheelbase version developed solely for the Chinese market. It has a 60 mm longer wheelbase (2,789 mm). Re-engineering it for RHD would make it costly, and as the C-Class is unavailable in our market in the ‘L’ long-wheelbase version, cannibalisation is another influencer.
On the outside, the Mercedes A-Class Sedan features Multibeam LED headlamps, 19-inch alloy wheels, LED tail lamps, chrome tailpipe tips and a panoramic sunroof. 10.25-inch fully digital instrument cluster, 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system with natural speech recognition (activated with “Hey Mercedes”), multifunction steering wheel with Touch Control buttons, wireless charging and 64-colour LED ambient cabin lighting are some of the interior talking points.
Mercedes-Benz offers the A-Class Sedan in six different engine models.
Mercedes A-Class - Engine Models
- A 200 - 163 PS 1.3-litre petrol engine, 6-speed manual transmission, FWD
- A 220 - 190 PS 2.0-litre petrol engine, 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, FWD
- A 220 4MATIC - 190 PS 2.0-litre petrol engine, 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, AWD
- A 250 - 224 PS 2.0-litre petrol engine, 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, FWD
- A 250 4MATIC - 224 PS 2.0-litre petrol engine 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, AWD
- A 180 d - 1.5-litre diesel engine, 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, FWD
In India, one can expect the base A 200 and A 180 d engine models.