Maruti Suzuki Launches Bharat Stage IV compliant K12M engine
UPDATE – The Maruti Suzuki Ritz has been launched. Click here to read the full story.
Maruti Suzuki India Ltd, India’s largest car maker, unveiled an all-new BS-IV compliant K12M engine at its Gurgaon plant. The 1.2L all-aluminium engine is second in the K-series and is said to have technological superiority and higher fuel efficiency over the K10B engine that powers Maruti Suzuki’s A-Star.
The K12M engine has been specifically designed for Indian applications. Maruti Suzuki’s engineers worked as part of Suzuki’s Engine Design team for the design, calibration and testing of the engine in Japan and in India. It will be put to use in the new Ritz hatchback (a.k.a Splash) which is slated for launch in May ’09.
At the launch, Maruti Suzuki’s Managing Director and CEO, Shinzo Nakanishi said
“The K12M engine is another example of Maruti Suzuki’s commitment to take engine technology in India to the next level. This is in line with our parent compay, Suzuki Motor Corporation’s focus on maximizing the environmental benefits of fully proven technologies. K-series engine is the latest innovation coming from this focus. K-series engines are not just fuel efficient but also low on CO2 emissions. The K12M engine further strengthens Maruti Suzuki’s efforts for fuel efficient, green engine technology for customers in India,”
Maruti Suzuki K12M Engine – Technical Specifications
No. of cylinders: 4
Compression Ratio: 10:1
Bore (mm) x Stroke (mm): 73 x 71.5
Valve configuration: DOHC
Valves per cylinder: 4
Salient features of Maruti Suzuki’s K12M Engine
- All-aluminum light-weight engine promising best-in-class fuel efficiency
- Skirt area of the piston has been shortened to make the aluminum engine lighter
- Rocker-less DOHC cam shaft, plastic intake manifold and offset crank shaft with low tension rings to reduce losses and improve fuel efficiency.
- Smart distributor-less ignition (SDLI) system with dedicated plug top coils, high pressure fuel system and advanced injectors for superior atomisation to provide uniform and optimised combustion for better performance
- Resin-coated pistons – to reduce friction and increase fuel efficiency
- Optimized cylinder block, light piston and nut-less con rod for light weight configuration
- Improved engine stiffness and use of advanced technology like silent timing chain to improve NVH characteristics
- For lowering the running costs, the engine uses higher grade engine oil which helps to increase the first changeover time from 1,000 km to 10,000 km.
- Spark plug with longer longevity, which doubles the changeover time from 20,000 km to 40,000 km.
- Use of Silent timing chain which ensures enhanced life in comparison to conventional belt design while the tappet design reduces valve clearance re-adjustment
| Maruti Suzuki unveils new Ritz K12M engine at Gurgaon plant
India’s first ever BS-IV compliant engine with best in class fuel efficiency.
Maruti Suzuki, India’s number one car-maker, unveiled the all-new K12M engine for its soon-to-be-launched hatchback Ritz. The K12M is BS-IV compliant engine. This is the first time that a BS-IV compliant engine will power any Passenger car in the country. This new 1197cc all aluminum engine is the second in the Kseries and retains the technological superiority and fuel efficiency of the K10B engine which powers Maruti Suzuki A-star.Unveiling the new engine Mr. Shinzo Nakanishi, Managing Director & CEO, Maruti Suzuki, said, “K12M engine is another example of Maruti Suzuki’s commitment to take engine technology in India to the next level. This is in line with parent company, Suzuki Motor Corporation’s focus on maximizing the environmental benefits of fully proven technologies. For this, Suzuki is fully exploiting the know-how gained in over 50 years of compact-car production. K-series engine is the latest innovation coming from this focus. K series engines are not just fuel efficient but also low on CO2 emissions. The K12M engine further strengthens Maruti Suzuki¿s efforts for fuel efficient, green engine technology for customers in India.”
The K12M engine is being manufactured in Maruti Suzuki’s brand new state-of the-art engine manufacturing facility inside its Gurgaon plant, which was inaugurated last year with the launch of A-star’s K10B engine.
The K12M engine reflects the company’s continued focus on investment in long term strategic projects which include expansion of manufacturing capacity and introduction of new engine technology.
The first car to be fitted with this brand new K12M engine will be the forthcoming premium compact car Maruti Suzuki Ritz. The Ritz will be yet another compact car to join the company’s A2 (compact car) offering that include Alto, Zen Estilo, A star, Wagon R and Swift Petrol and Diesel. The Ritz is in advanced stage of preparation for a formal launch shortly. With a new technology engine, the Ritz will be positioned in the upper end of the growing compact car segment.
The K12M engine has been specifically designed for Indian applications. Maruti Suzuki’s engineers worked as part of Suzuki’s Engine Design team for the design, calibration and testing of the engine in Japan and in India. This is a step forward in enhancing the engine development capability. The engine promises to be a best in class fuel efficient, high performance, low emission, light weight, with lower NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness).
Like the K10B engine, plastic parts have been extensively used in K12M engine as well. The skirt area of the piston has been shortened to make the aluminum engine lighter, whereas the resin-coated piston helps reduce friction and increase fuel efficiency.
Some of the salient features of the all new K12M are:
* All Aluminum low-weight engine with best-in-class fuel efficiency
Lower running costs:
* Higher Grade Engine Oil: Improves first changeover time from 1,000 Km to 10,000 Km
Source: Economic Times