BMW has already started work on the next generation X5. Test mules have been spotted all across Europe wearing a complete camouflage indicating a complete revamp in the design.
The 2014 BMW X5 (codenamed F15) is expected to be revealed at the 2014 Detroit Motor Show. Here are all the high points of the changes expected.
2014 BMW X5 visual features
- The new design of the X5 will be on the lines of the new 3 Series. It will feature a more imposing kidney grille, LED headlamps and tail lamps.
- The design will also feature more convex/concave shapes with 3D layering enhancing its masculine look.
- It will be based on the BMW's new 'X For All' platform, a modular architecture for all future BMW SUVs. The new architecture will help reduce 450 pounds.
- However, it will not grow any longer or wider than the current dimensions.
2014 BMW X5 Mechanicals/Technology
- The engine lineup will consist of:
- 2.0-litre four cylinder diesel engine with 245bhp
- An ActiveHybrid variant consisting of a 3.0 litre diesel engine mated to a 109bhp electric motor
- The new BMW X5 will also have pedestrian airbags for a better pedestrian safety score in EuroNCAP.
- It will also have the rumored iDrive button that works on hand gestures.
There is still a long wait for the new BMW X5. We will keep you posted on more such juicy scoops.
[Image - Current generation BMW X5, used for the purpose of illustration]