Delivers up to 20 km/l.
Audi has taken the wraps off its all-new 2.0-liter TFSI engine at the Vienna Motor Symposium. The engine will have its debut on the next generation 2016 A4, which will be revealed prior to the Frankfurt Motor Show this year.
The new 2.0 TFSI engine, like the current one found under the hood of the A6 35TFSI in India, displaces 1,984 cc. However, thanks to several new technologies (listed below), this engine now makes 190 hp and 320 Nm of torque (as compared to the current engine's 177 hp and 320 Nm). It also boasts of an efficiency of 20 km/l under the NEDC test conditions.
Engineers have achieved higher power output and better efficiency by what they call 'rightsizing' approach. Here are the list of changes they've made:
- Shortening of intake time (140° crank angle compared to 190 to 200°)
- Higher boost pressure on the inlet side
- Higher efficiency-boosting compression ratio by closing the intake valve well before the cylinder hits bottom dead center
- Additional injection upstream from intake valve under partial load conditions for an efficient mixture formation
- New Audi Valvelift System (AVS) on inlet side allows a short intake time at partial load and a longer time at higher loads
- Integration of exhaust manifold in the cylinder head
Also read: 2015 Audi RS7 (facelift) to launch in India on May 11
The new engine, which weighs 140 kg, also gets a controlled coolant flow by which the engine is able to achieve a shorter warm-up time. Lastly, Audi has opted for a low friction engine oil (0W-20) which has also played a part in increasing the efficiency.
Rivals: Jaguar XE,BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C Class, Volvo S60
Expected Price: INR 30-45 lakhs, ex-Showroom
Launch date: Unveiling by September 2015
2016 Audi A4's New Engine - Press Release
[Head to Slideshare if you're unable to view the document above.]