We've been getting you various spyshots of the exterior and the interior of the refreshed BMW 5 Series which was expected to be announced anytime soon.
BMW has finally done it today: The facelifted BMW 5 Series is here!
All you need to know about the new 5 Series sedan
- BMW has sold 1 million units of the current generation 5 Series which comes in Sedan, Touring, Gran Turismo styles.
- The refresh adds certain modifications to the car's design, new engine variants and some additions to the equipment, in an effort to raise the appeal of the car and keep it fresh.
On the outside:
- A few additional contour lines surrounding the BMW kidney grille highlights the front of the car.
- Newly structured air intakes lend a sporty appearance at the front.
- Added chrome surrounding the front fog lamps.
- Extra crease in the rear apron will highlight the width of the car
- New slim and sharply contoured rear lights
- New chrome strip in the rear apron
- New exterior colors
- New alloy wheels
On the features front:
- Xenon headlights are standard on all models.
- New Adaptive LED Headlights now optional.
- New LED foglights.
- Outside rear view mirrors with integrated indicator.
- New BMW Luxury Line and BMW Modern Line adds more design and equipment.
On the inside:
- iDrive control display is now bordered with a chrome strip
- Storage compartments and cup holders now feature increased storage capacity
- BMW 5 GT gets 60 liters of added boot space. Now rated at 500 liters
- All engines comply with the Euro 6 standard (which will come into effect only in September 2014).
- All diesel engines come with nitrogen-oxide reducing BMW BluePerformance technology.
- New coasting mode disengages the powertrain during coasting to improve the fuel consumption.
- New Proactive Driving Assistant adjusts the car’s speed ahead of a change in speed limit.
- The drag coefficient of the BMW 520d Sedan (which forms the base model in India) has been reduced to 0.25 by improving the aerodynamics.
- All new BMW 518d has been added to the line-up as a new entry-level diesel variant. Features a four-cylinder diesel with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology with 143 bhp of power and an average consumption of 4.5 l/100 km (22.22km/l) and CO2 emissions of 119 g/km.
- All new top-end engine is a V8 unit with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology developing 450 bhp.
- All 5 Series GT's (and 5 Series Touring Estates) come with air suspension as standard that includes automatic self-leveling at the rear axle.
Features and Gadgets:
- Optional Comfort Access system allows the tailgate to be opened and closed hands-free with a movement of the foot under the rear bumper.
- New rear-seat entertainment system features new tablet-style displays.
- All new Harman Kardon Surround Sound system.
- New ambient light option can alternate the interior color between orange and white.
- New iDrive controller with a touch-sensitive surface now accepts characters to program in a destination or access other functions of the iDrive operating system.
- New glare-free High Beam Assistant and the BMW Night Vision system now includes human and animal detection and the Dynamic Light Spot function.
- From November 2013, options such as the Active Lane keeping assistant can be specified on the new 5 Series.