Mahindra Reva Electric Vehicles Pvt. Ltd. and Vodafone Business Services, today announced a strategic technology partnership. This partnership will enable Vodafone to deliver their Machine-to-Machine (m2m) communication services for the recently launched e2o. This will be a first of its kind service in the Indian auto industry.
The technology allows customers of e2o to use their smartphones or any computer with an internet connection for the following services, through an application -
- Check the status of the battery and how far can one travel on the available charge.
- Lock or unlock the doors.
- Remotely control the air-conditioning and set schedules to pre-heat or pre-cool the car before they enter it.
- Find the nearest charging station.
- Issues warnings about doors being unlocked, parking brakes not applied, or charging disrupted due to power cuts.
- REVive technology allows to get an emergency reserved charge to move an extra 8-10 kms.
- Allows Mahindra Reva technicians to remotely diagnose the car.
The way this system works is simple. The user downloads the Mahindra Reva application on his/her smartphone (currently works on Android, i-OS and Blackberry operating system enabled devices), which is linked with the secured Mahindra Reva server, and this server is in turn linked to the on-board computer of the e2o. This provides a real time feedback to and fro from the user to the car.
For example, if you are planning a trip to a friend’s place in your e2o, all you need to do is enter the details of your trip in the application. The app will then calculate the distance and alert you about the status of the battery before the start of the journey and even provide an approximate figure for the charge left when you reach your destination and whether you will be able to make it back before a charge is necessary.
It can also plan trips with the charging stations on your way, so you are never out of power. All this even before you step out of the house.
The e2o uses Vodafone’s services for this connectivity and provides a predictable driving experience through useful and innovative features.
Commenting on this unique initiative, Naveen Chopra, Director Vodafone Business Services, said “Vodafone’s partnership with Mahindra Reva is a true convergence of distinct, yet aligned visions- to develop a world of connected machines.”
Pointers from the event:
- m2m connectivity for the e2o was in development since the last two years.
- There will be provisions to schedule the charging of the car in future.
- SIM card is provided by Vodafone and is installed in the e2o before shipping.
- The cost of services and applications are said to be covered in the price of the car itself.
- Vodafone and Mahindra Reva have signed a contract for 5 years to offer this service.
- Mahindra Reva also offers a 3mX3m solar panel for customers who would like to utilize the sun’s energy to charge their cars.
- All e2os get their first charge through the sun’s energy at the solar charging stations installed at the factory.
- Mahindra Reva application can be downloaded on smartphones that run on Android, Blackberry or iOS operating systems. A special website has also been put in place.
- e2o can act as a WiFi hotspot.
We hope that this concept is carried on to other cars, possibly on to a future Mahindra or Ssangyong with most aforementioned functions. While giving you remote access, m2m also creates a sort of a relationship with your car, which can keep you updated on its health, service center schedules and fuel efficiency record via your smartphone.