The 2014 Mercedes E63 AMG in a nutshell
Kaustubh Shinde, They say sooner or later your passion finds you. Sometime in late 2009, I started writing for IAB and ever since then it has been a roller coaster ride for me. An amazing experience that has taught me a lot, taken me to new places, driven some great cars and met some amazing people. When you don't find me on IAB (very rarely), you will find me either at a coffee shop or an eatery or at the nearest gadget store. Hope you enjoy IAB as much as we do!
Whilst we were busy covering automotive news all around the globe, Mercedes dropped a bucket full of information on the new Mercedes E63 AMG.
As the new Mercedes E Class has been recently given a comprehensive facelift, it was very clear that we will see the new E63 AMG very soon. There is so much information available on the interweb, we thought we should bring a condensed ‘in a nutshell’ version.
So here is a fact-to-fact information about the 2013 Mercedes E63 AMG.
2014 Mercedes E63 AMG factfile
- The E63 AMG lineup has been split into two lines – a standard E63 AMG and an ‘S-model’ which is a more powerful version of the E63 AMG.
- It is the quickest production car in the Mercedes’ history
- It will be available in sedan or wagon avatar.
- Design changes include an aggressive front bumper with huge air ducts and a central splitter, carbon fibre ORVM housing, a new rear bumper, a revised rear diffuser and quad trapezoidal shaped tail pipes.
- An optional new all-wheel drive 4MATC system is launched
- The standard E63 AMG will be powered by a 5.5-litre V8 petrol engine with 550hp/720 Nm. That’s 32hp and 20 Nm more than the outgoing model. 0-100 km/h happens in 4.2 seconds. With the new all-wheel drive 4MATC system, the 0-100 figure drops to 3.7 seconds for the sedan and 3.8 seconds for the AMG Estate.
- The S-model gets the same engine but with more power – 577hp/800 Nm. A 0-100 km/hr sprint can be achieved in just 3.6 seconds in the sedan or 3.7 seconds in the estate.
- All models get an AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed transmission.
- Braking in taken care by 360 mm perforated and ventilated discs all around with six- and four-piston calipers front and rear respectively. An optional 402 mm ceramic discs pack is also on offer which offer fade-free braking performance.
Official debut of the new E63 AMG will be held at the Detroit Motor Show tomorrow night. Sales of the RWD models will start in April and will be joined by the 4MATIC and S-Models in June.