Report - HMIL launches the Neo Fluidic Elantra
Dhruv Saxena, Mechanical engineer trying to find his place in the world of automobile journalism.
Hyundai launched the Neo Fluidic Elantra in the capital yesterday. The Elantra won the prestigious North American Car of the Year 2012 at the Detroit Motor Show last January, the 2011 South Africa Car of the year & the 2011-12 Philippines car of the year, and awaits to claim many more titles here in India.
Just like its elder sibling, the Sonata, the Elantra’s not just a facelift but a whole new product, inside out.
The 5th generation Elantra hosts a huge list of features that are very thoughtful and practical. The new Fluidic Design theme did wonders with the Verna, Sonata and will definitely work for the Elantra too.
The front-end looks very imposing and fresh whereas the bold lines running around the car, make it look long and broad. The rear is where a bit of a problem arises as it tries to look very sporty and contemporary at the same time.
The interiors are well built with quality, fit and finish (for both plastic and upholstery) being very good. Features such as ventilated front seats, rear AC vents and solar glass will be appreciated by Indian buyers during the summer, which makes up for 3/4 seasons in most part of India.
The Elantra gets two engine options, a 1.6 CRDI VGT delivering 128PS @ 4,800rpm and a torque of 265 Nm @ 1,900-2,750 rpm. The petrol powertrain is a 1.8 Dual VTVT delivering 149.5PS @ 6,500 rpm and 181Nm @ 4,700 rpm. The ARAI certified fuel consumption figure of the diesel sits at 22 kmpl.
You can also read our previous entry which contains the price list, brochure and live images.
The list of features are as follows :
Hyundai Elantra Safety
- Six Airbags
- Electronic Stability Program
- ABS and EBD
- Rear Parking Sensor
- Speed sensing door lock
- Impact sensing door unlock
- Vehicle Stability Management
- Hill Start assist control
- Clutch Lock
- Rear Defogger with Timer
- ECM (Electro Chromic Mirror)
- Automatic Headlight Control
Hyundai Elantra Exterior & Interior
- Leather Seats and Trim
- 16” Alloy Wheels
- Silica Tyres
- Front Fog Lamps
- Printed Glass Antenna
- Body Colored outside rearview mirror with turn indicator
- Chrome Radiator Griller
- Chrome outside & inside door handles
Hyundai Elantra Comfort and Convenience
- Solar Glass for windshield and doors
- Front Seat Ventilation
- 10-way adjustable power driver seat with lumbar support
- Dual Zone fully automatic temperature control
- Cluster Ionizer
- Rear AC Vents
- Auto Cruise Control
- Smart Key with Push Button Start
- 2-Din audio with Radio, CD & MP3 player
- USB, AUX-in, Ipod cable & Bluetooth connectivity
- 4 speakers with 2 tweeters
- Steering with Audio Remote and Bluetooth Function
- Sliding front center armrest with storage
- Rear seat armrest with storage box, audio controls and power outlet.
- Supervision Cluster
- Safety escort headlamps
- Glove box cooling
- Tilt and Telescopic steering
- One Touch Triple turn signal
- Luggage net and hook
- Organ type accelerator pedal
- Eco Driving with manual transmission shift indicator
- Eco Indicator with automatic transmission
- Alternator Management System (AMS)
What are your thoughts about the new Elantra? Can it repeat the success of the C-Segment Verna in India?
Hyundai Elantra Image Slideshow
[can't see the slideshow above? Head over to the Flickr Gallery page]
Hyundai Elantra Walkaround Video
[can't see the video above? Head over to Youtube]