Made In India VW Polo spotted again in Malaysia

11/11/2013 - 11:50 | ,   | Shrawan Raja

The India-made VW Polo hatchback which comes to the Malaysian market later this year, has been sighted by on a flatbed in Kuala Lumpur.

The India-spec Polo's production at DRB-Hicom's plant in Peking began in September. The first shipments of the India-spec Polo started back in July from the Pune plant. VW India ships 70% of the car to Malaysia, as the other 30% constitutes the powertrain which comes from Europe.

India made VW Polo spotted in Malaysia
The Indian Polo is likely to be launched in the Malaysian market later this week. doesn't have a clue about the engine choices that would be sold on the new Polo, but speculation is rife on naturally aspirated engines in 1.2-liter, 1.4-liter and 1.6-liter displacements, paired to a five-speed manual or a six-speed slushbox.

The India-spec test vehicles spotted in Malaysia don't have the 'TSI' or 'GT' badges, which add more substance to this view.

Currently VW Malaysia is selling the Polo in European specification. The vehicles are brought in as CBUs, as opposed to the Indian Polos which are CKDs, and come with several optical differentiations such as the word ‘Volkswagen’ spelled out on the tailgate, simple headlamps, a twin-slat radiator grille and a different rear bumper.

Volkswagen introduced the Indian Vento in Malaysia this month and the local media speculate that the Polo would launch at the KLIMS 2013 (motor show) that starts later this week.

You might also like