Image Update - High quality images added to the gallery on the post footer.
VW took the wraps off the new CrossBlue SUV concept. Based on the MQB platform it is unmistakably VW in terms of design and boasts of 6 individual seats in three rows.
The CrossBlue gets a hybrid powertrain that consists of a 190 bhp TDI diesel engine and two electric motors with 54hp and 114hp which derive power from a 9.8 KWh Li-ion battery pack housed in the center tunnel. The SUV is driven by a 6-speed DSG autobox supported by an electric all wheel drive system which VW calls as "Propshaft by wire."
Features of VW CrossBlue Concept
- Volkswagen's estimated fuel economy rating is 89 mpge (miles per gallon equivalent) (37.63 kmpl) combined in electric mode and 35 mpg (14.81 kmpl) as a hybrid.
- 0 to 60 mph is estimated to take 7.2 seconds.
- The overall driving range is 1,058 km if the 70 litre fuel tank is filled with ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel.
- The concept is 4.98m long, 2.01m wide, and 1.73m high with front and rear tracks of 1.68m and 1.69m respectively.
- Sits on 21-inch aluminum-alloy wheels shod with 235/45 tires
- The CrossBlue is equipped with two "fuel doors"- the filler neck for the diesel tank is on the passenger side, and integrated two electrical sockets behind the door on the driver's side.
- The first socket is used to charge the lithium-ion battery and the second can be used to connect electrical devices which can be powered by the car.
- In the production version, the second row would have the option of three seats to make it a full seven seater.
- There is a 10.2-inch touchscreen infotainment system that also doubles up as a control panel to access the status of the hybrid system.
- The combined maximum torque output of the hybrid powertrain stands at 700 Nm.
- There are two driving modes such as Eco and Sport which changes the performance parameters accordingly.
- The car can act as pure EV for about 22 km.
- The engine can be used to charge the battery on the move and there is also regenerative braking.
- In four wheel drive mode, the front wheels will be driven by the engine while the rear wheel will be driven by the 114hp motor. Meanwhile the front mounted 54hp motor acts only as generator.
According to the company, the VW CrossBlue concept is a typical SUV which is made for Americans to offer SUV like image and MPV like versatility.
Volkswagen press conference pointers
- World premiere of a concept for US
- Caution in the year ahead, double digit growth last few years
- Best December 2012 sales since 1970
- 2012 was best year since 1973 in sales
- Jetta and Passat made up 64% of US sales in 2012
- Passat performance Concept uses a new family of 1.8tsi 250bhp
- Tiguan and Touareg get sporty R Line package
- Future styling of SUV previewed by Cross Blue Concept
- Large SUV segment 20 % growth by 2018