Tata Motors sent us the official press release of the BS4 compliant Indica eV2 containing all relevant details. The prices are shocking to say the least. The petrol range begins at just 2.95 lakh and the CRDI range begins at 3.95 lakh.
Read the press release to learn more
Tata Indica eV2 images
Tata Motors introduces the new Tata Indica eV2, the most fuel efficient car in India with 25 kmpl mileage
· Sports the all new Common Rail Diesel engine
· 32% increase in power and 46% increase in fuel efficiency
· New Interiors
· Class defining features
Mumbai, March 10, 2011: Tata Motors today launched the Tata Indica eV2, the most fuel efficient car in India with a mileage of 25 kmpl, certified by the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) for the CR4 diesel engine. Built on the Tata Indica platform, the Tata Indica eV2 succeeds the highly successful Tata Indica, India’s favourite hatchback.
The Indica eV2 sports an all new CR4 Common Rail Diesel engine that has a displacement of 1396 cc delivering 70 PS @ 4000 RPM. With a higher torque of 140 NM at a lower 1800-3000 RPM, improvements in the gear ratios, starter motor protection and reduction in the weight of the car by around 10 kg, the Tata Indica eV2 ensures a better pickup. The new CR4 engine has resulted in 32% increase in power, 65% increase in torque as well as a 46% improvement on fuel efficiency. The Tata Indica eV2 is also available with the MPFI petrol engine to provide customers with a wider choice. Both these engines are compliant with BS4 emission norms.
This mileage of 25 kmpl is hinged on three technological advancements.
1) SMART EMS (Engine Management System) CHIP that involves perfectly calibrating every minute engine component to optimize functionality - Right from valve timing to compression ratios to pressure volume ratios, it flawlessly synchronizes every engine function to deliver this mileage.
2) MAXIMUM CHARGE COMBUSTION – An innovatively designed engine block and piston assembly that ensures effective intake and circulation of charge (mixture of air and fuel), thereby almost preventing friction between parts. The result is max combustion of charge, increased efficiency and power.
3) DRAG REDUCTION - Redesigned wheel arches and subtle alterations on the exterior combined with a lighter shell and engine have collectively contributed to making the car more aerodynamic, reducing the drag coefficient.
Besides, improved driveability, the new Tata Indica eV2 also offers two class defining features. The Auto-Drive Assist ensures that while climbing a gradient the engine will not stall even if the foot is completely taken off the clutch, thus enabling the driver to easily shift his foot to the accelerator. Another first is the Clutch-To-Start feature that will ensure that one cannot crank the engine unless the clutch is fully engaged, hence there is no risk of re-crank if engine is on.
The interiors of the new Tata Indica eV2 are in elegant shadow beige colour. The top trim sports a wooden finish centre console and host of other features like power windows, keyless entry, Bluetooth enabled music system and USB port, 4 spoke collapsible steering wheel, tachometer, rear parcel shelf, 60:40 rear seating, front and rear fog lamps.
The exterior styling gets enhanced by sporty alloy wheels, attractive decals, a new tail light cluster and rear bumper.
The Tata Indica eV2 range is available in four exciting colours- Apple Green, Neo Orange, Arctic Silver and Mint White.
The car comes with a warranty of 24 months or 75000 km whichever is earlier.
The Tata Indica eV2 is in the range of Rs. 3.95 lakhs and Rs. 4.77 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi for the CR4 diesel engine and in the range of Rs. 2.95 lakhs and Rs. 3.58 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi, for the MPFI petrol.