By Shoeb R Kalania
Image - Mr. Anuj Mehta, the first customer of the Micra diesel, is handed the keys to his car by Mr. Kiminobu Tokuyama, MD & CEO Nissan India.
The Nissan Micra diesel was launched today at Nissan's Ichiban showroom in Mumbai. Equipped with a 1.5-liter 4-cylinder 8 valve engine, the Micra manages to produce 64PS power and 160Nm torque.
Prices (ex-showroom Mumbai):
XV Premium: 6,33,849/-
Some points discussed by Nissan at the event:
* Nissan Micra Diesel will only be made in and for India. No plans exist for exports as of now.
* Top-end variant of the Micra is in high demand (almost 65% bookings are for this version)
* Exports of Nissan Micra petrol to Europe and other countries is progressing smoothly.
* A target of 1.1 lakh units per year is set and almost 15,000 units have been shipped to Europe.
* Currently 21 dealerships are in place, plan is to increase it to around 100 by 2013
* Chennai Plant capacity will be increased if necessary to take care of growing demand.
* More launches planed for 2012.
* 9 new models to be launched in India by 2012.
* Not to be confused as a Micra sedan, its a new car altogether.
* V-Platform sedan to be launched in China first this year.
* To be launched in India during the 2nd half of 2011
* Like Micra, will be manufactured at Chennai plant.
* To be launched by 2012
* It is said to be a Joint Venture between Nissan and Ashok Leyland
* We guess this should be the Nissan NV200 which was caught testing in Chennai. There's also a plan to produce a MPV on the Micra's platform at the Oragadam plant (Nissan Note replacement worldwide), though its status for India is yet to be decided.
Nissan Micra Diesel unveiling video
Stay tuned for the press release.