Gets improvements in every department.
The new Mahindra Scorpio is claimed to be technically much more advanced than the model it replaces. This article summarizes the technical highlights of the third gen SUV that were shared with the media in today's press conference. Note that all claims below were made by the company.
- The fuel efficiency of the 2.2-litre mHawk engine has been improved from 14.3 km/l to 15.31 km/l, thanks to various tweaks like improved combustion, reduced friction at the wheel end bearings, better aerodynamics and an electric cooling fan.
- The new generation 320 5-speed manual transmission facilitates better gear shifting experience.
- The steering system with a collapsible column has been re-engineered to reduce the turning radius from 5.7 m to 5.4 m. The system is claimed to offer a consistent feel and reduced steering effort.
- The new hydroformed chassis with increased front wheel track and optimized thickness has resulted in better longitudinal stiffness, reduced kerb weight and better crash worthiness.
- The maintenance free wheel end-bearings are sealed and fused. This has resulted in higher load and torque capacities along with a weight saving of 6 kg.
- Shift-on-the-fly 4WD system makes for reduced weight and ease of engagement and disengagement.
- Increased floor panel stiffness, optimized sound insulation package and torsional vibration package is said to have achieved better NVH characteristics.
Competitors: Tata Safari Storme, Renault Duster, Nissan Terrano