Land Rover has brought the world's first 9-speed transmission for a passenger car to the Geneva Motor Show.
The ZF 9HP automatic gearbox which was jointly developed by transmission expert ZF and Land Rover's engineering team results in higher fuel economy and consequently lower emissions. The Range Rover Evoque becomes the first production car to feature this tech laden gear box, however the gearbox was shown independently at the expo.
Features of Land Rover 9-speed gearbox
- Smaller ratios offer improved response during acceleration and improved shift quality
- Higher top gear ratio reduces fuel consumption and makes the engine spin at lower rpm thereby improving the refinement
- Its lowest ratio is lower than that of the current 6-speed gearbox and that enhances off roadabiltiy
- Has skip-shift function for quicker downshifting under rapid deceleration
- The adaptive drive system learns the driver's style and adopts to it
- Despite the addition of three gears, the transmission is only 6mm longer and is 7.5 kg lighter!
The ZF 9HP debuts in the Range Rover Evoque and is expected to eventually find place in all other Land Rover vehicles in the future.