General Motors announced its 1.2-liter SMARTECH engine today in Delhi. The petrol engine was developed in Bangalore and it is designed keeping in mind Indian road conditions, environment and traffic conditions. The engine will be manufactured at GM's new Talegaon plant.
The power and torque output on the SMARTECH engine is the same as the existing Beat. The 80.5PS power and 108Nm torque stand good for the new engine, but the mileage of 18.6 kmpl (ARAI figure) and refinement are expected to be better on the SMARTECH engine.
The materials used on the SMARTECH engine is lighter and there are a few technical upgrades which will go a long way in improving fuel economy and refinement.
Features of GM SMARTECH Engine for Chevrolet Beat
- Vacuum activated Port deactivation that improves low-end torque and provides refined idling for improved fuel economy in city
- 16 valve DOHC engine that produces 80.5PS of power and 108Nm of torque
- Inverted tooth timing chain design makes for silent operation
- Aluminium alloy engine head which is lighter and aids cooling
- Pistons are lighter and coated with anti-friction material
- Fractured type connecting rod is lighter and operates better
- Crankshaft is equipped with 8 balancer shafts
- Epoxy coated cylinder block is anti-corrosive
- Stainless steel core plugs