Gets three engine options.
The 2016 VW Passat, which is expected to be introduced in the Indian market next year, has been launched in South Africa.
2016 VW Passat prices in South Africa:
- 1.4 TSI Comfortline 110kW Manual - ZAR 378,800
- 1.4 TSI Comfortline 110kW DSG - ZAR 398,800
- 1.8 TSI Highline 132kW DSG - ZAR 444,200
- 2.0 TSI R-Line 162kW DSG - ZAR 476,800
The eighth generation Passat is shorter in overall length by 2 mm, lower in height by 14 mm, wider by 12 mm, longer in wheelbase by 79 mm, has a cabin longer by 33 mm, and a larger boot space of 479 litres (with a full size spare wheel). Based on the VW Group's Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) platform, the new version is lighter by upto 85 kg.
The car features halogen headlights and LED taillamps as standard features, while LED headlights, LED DRLs and dynamic cornering lights are available as options. The interior gets cloth or Alcantara leather seats, a 3-way Climatronic AC, Volkswagen’s Active Info Display, Composition Media infotainment system with the optional 20 cm colour touchscreen for the Discover Pro system, and the like. The sedan is loaded with advanced features like VW’s Automatic Multi-Collision Braking System, Driver Alert system (fatigue detection), and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Front Assist and City Emergency Braking system.
The Passat is offered with three new Bluemotion turbo petrol engines for now, all of which are equipped with start/stop and brake energy recuperation technologies.
The three engine options for now are:
- 1.4 TSI with 110 kW (147 hp), 250 Nm, choice of 6-speed manual and 7-speed DSG automatic, 5.3 litres/100 km (5.2 litres/100 km on DSG variant) and 124 g/km (121 g/km on DSG model).
- 1.8 TSI with 132 kW (177 hp), 250 Nm, 7-speed DSG, 5.8 litres/100 km, and 130 g/km of CO2, that is capable of 0-100 km/h in 7.9 seconds and 232 km/h top speed.
- 2.0 TSI with 162 kW (217 hp), 350 Nm, 6-speed DSG, 6.2 litres per 100 km and 143 g/km of CO2, that can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 6.7 seconds and reach 246 km/h top speed.
In H2 2016, the VW Passat in South Africa will be launched with a 2.0 TDI diesel engine that can produce 130 kW (174 hp).