While most Americans love their SUVs and pickup trucks, they are a bit dinosaur-ish now. With fuel prices skyrocketing, it is time to adopt smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles. So Chevrolet has introduced our very own Beat in the US markets for a price tag of $12,995 (around 6.6 lakhs INR).
The Chevrolet Beat is re-named as Spark for the US markets. There are a number of changes that have been done to introduce it in the US markets. These include:
- Minor change to the front fascia
- 15-inch alloy wheels
- Top variant includes exterior enhancements such as silver painted roof rails; chrome lift gate handle, exhaust outlet and beltline molding; body-color lower rocker molding; front and rear body-color sport fascias with unique front upper and lower grille inserts
- Standard features include air conditioning, power windows, rear window wiper, auxiliary input jack, outside temperature display and trip computer.
- Additional features include power door locks with remote keyless entry, theft deterent system, outside power mirrors, floor mats, visor mirrors, and cruise control
- Leatherette seats and heated front seats
- 7-inch color touch radio with Chevrolet MyLink, Bluetooth connectivity for select phones, steering wheel audio controls, USB port and Sirius XM Radio
- Safety package includes 10 air bags, electronic stability control with traction control and brake assist.
- 1.2L Ecotec engine and five-speed manual transmission. 4 speed Automatic also available as an upgrade.
Chevy claims that the Spark gives an extremely competitive 30 mpg (12 kmpl) within the city and 40 mpg (17 kmpl) on the highway
The Chevy Spark will compete against Fiat 500, Scion iQ and Smart ForTwo in the US markets. Sadly, none of its competitors are able to woo the crowd in Uncle Sam's country. Will the Chevy Spark herald a new area in American motoring? Only time will tell.