The VW Polo GTI fits the description of a hot hatch perfectly and ever since VW launched the Polo in India, the enthusiasts are eagerly hoping for the GTI version to grace our roads. But our neighbors to the north got luckier than us.
The Shanghai-Volkswagen launched a Chinese version of Polo GTI at the Chengdu auto show. The car looks exactly same as the European Polo GTI inside out.
While the European GTI is powered by a turbo as well as super charged 1.4 TSI, the Chinese GTI gets the 1.4 litre engine with a turbocharger. As a result, the power output stands at 131 bhp against the European car’s 180 bhp.
The Polo GTI will retail at an estimated 17,000 Yuan (Rs. 14.8 lakhs) making it substantially costlier than the normal Polo, but VW is banking on the GTI badge to create some magic.
The list of differences between the normal Polo and the GTI version are as follows:
- Honey chrome grill with GTI badge.
- 17” alloy wheels.
- Side skirts with black cladding.
- Dual exhaust pipes and black diffuser.
- Leather wrapped, flat bottomed steering with GTI badge.
- Multifunction display with GPS and real time traffic information.
- Black ‘Jacara’ fabric/ leather seats with red contrast stitching.
- GTI branding on the door sills and seats.
- Disk breaks all around with red calipers.
- 7-Speed DSG gearbox.
- ESP and traction control.
Unfortunately our wait for the Polo GTI is not yet over as there appear to be no immediate plans by VW India to bring this hot hatch here. We can hear you saying, “Dear Volkswagen, please bring the Polo GTI to India, but don’t price it so steeply”
[Source - Autohome.com.cn]