Piaggio Vehicles launched a new range of three-wheeled passenger carriers in Mumbai today under the name 'City'. It is fitted with a three-valve engine, which is a first in its segment, and is available with three fuel options. Here are the other details of Piaggio's Bajaj RE 4S 'auto rickshaw' competitor.
- In 1999, the launch of Ape brand, a 100% subsidiary of Piaggio Italy, was held in India.
- In the last 14 years, the brand has attracted over 1.5 million customers for its commercial vehicles.
- Today marks the launch of the Ape City range of three-wheelers in petrol, CNG and LPG fuel types.
- Development was fully based on customer feedback.
- It is powered by a new three-valve 275cc engine that returns 10% more mileage than competitors, with outputs between 4.99 KW to 7.07 KW depending on the fuel it is operating on (LPG, CNG or Petrol).
- Good low-end torque that's better suited for city usage.
- Single piece windscreen and twin headlamp configuration.
- Oil change interval is 10k kilometers, compared to competition which has set it at 5k kilometers.
- Size of the market is 150,000 units a year.
- Piaggio has a 35 percent market share in India in its segment.
- Piaggio will export vehicles to Africa, Latin America and neighboring markets.
Piaggio Ape City prices (ex-showroom, Mumbai)
- Petrol - 1,06,645 rupees
- LPG - 1,23,031 rupees
- CNG - 1,26,570 rupees