General Motors will launch the Beat LPG along with the SMARTECH engine in Mumbai tomorrow. The SMARTECH is the upgraded 1.2-liter petrol engine, which GM claims provides higher fuel economy and suits our usage better while retaining the same displacement, power and torque.
Features of SMARTECH engine
- Vacuum activated Port deactivation that improves low-end torque and provides refined idling for improved fuel economy in city
- 16 valve DOHC engine that produces 80.5PS of power and 108Nm of torque
- Inverted tooth timing chain design makes for silent operation
- Aluminium alloy engine head which is lighter and aids cooling
- Pistons are lighter and coated with anti-friction material
- Fractured type connecting rod is lighter and operates better
- Crankshaft is equipped with 8 balancer shafts
- Epoxy coated cylinder block is anti-corrosive
- Stainless steel core plugs
The SMARTECH engine will debut on the Chevrolet Beat LPG model which is expected to be about 50,000 rupees more expensive than the petrol variant. When both tanks are brimmed, the bi-fuel Beat LPG can travel up to 1,000 km.
Chevrolet Beat LPG Features
- Less weight
- No power loss
- No jerks and backfires which means smoother hassle-free transition from petrol to LPG and back.
- Better routing control and no kinking.
- No chance of inside/outside corrosion for life.
- The LPG kit is intelligently placed in the engine compartment, hence consuming lesser space and giving enough room for the passengers.
- The cabin space is not affected due to LPG kit and hence passengers can enjoy the same space as Beat petrol.
- High Pressure LPG pipes made of High Strength Nylon.
- At 13.29 kmpl in LPG mode (Certified by ARAI), it stands first in its class for mileage.
- Power – 80.4 PS@6400rpm
- Torque – 104Nm@4400rpm
- Beat automatically shifts from LPG to petrol if you run out of fuel
Indian Autos Blog will report live from ground zero to bring you the facts and figures before the others.