The VW T-Cross had its world premiere in Amsterdam, Shanghai and São Paulo yesterday. It is the company’s first small car SUV.
Featuring a masculine design, the butch-looking VW T-Cross has an independent personality. The boxy mini-SUV measures 4,107 mm in length, 1,750 mm in width and 1,558 mm in height. There’s also a long-wheelbase version, which measures 4,199 mm in length and 1,568 mm in height. The new model rides on the same platform as the sixth generation VW Polo and the VW Virtus - MQB A0.
On the outside, the VW T-Cross features long and flat full-LED headlights that extend far into the flanks, a large, wide radiator grille, a powerfully expressive front spoiler, recessed front fog lights, large wheel arches, 18-inch alloy wheels and a reflective band framed by a black trim panel at the rear, positioned between the squarish LED tail lights. Many customisation options are available, including 12 bodypaints and a selection of coloured wheel rims.
Thanks to a 2,563-mm wheelbase, the VW T-Cross offers a spacious interior for five people. The long-wheelbase version with a 2,651-mm wheelbase is even more spacious. The luggage compartment holds between 385 and 455 litres in the standard wheelbase version and between 373 and 420 litres in the long-wheelbase version.
Equipment highlights include Active Info Display virtual instrument cluster, 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system, wireless charger, four USB ports and Beats sounds system with 300-watt, 8-channel amplifier and a separate subwoofer in the luggage compartment. A two-tone interior colour scheme is available.
SWB VW T-Cross - Engine Options (EU)
- 1.0L TSI petrol (95 PS/175 Nm), 5-speed manual transmission
- 1.0L TSI petrol (115 PS/200 Nm), 6-speed manual transmission/7-speed DSG transmission
- 1.5L TSI petrol (150 PS/250 Nm), 7-speed DSG transmission
- 1.6L TDI (95 PS/250 Nm), 5-speed manual transmission/7-speed DSG transmission
LWB VW T-Cross - Engine Options (Brazil/Argentina)
- (BR) 1.0L TSI petrol-ethanol (petrol: 116 PS/200 Nm, ethanol: 128. PS/200 Nm), 6-speed manual transmission/6-speed Tiptronic transmission
- (BR) 1.4L TSI petrol-ethanol (petrol: 150 PS/250 Nm, ethanol: 150 PS/250 Nm), 6-speed Tiptronic transmission
- (AR) 1.6L MSI petrol (110 PS/155 Nm)
The SWB VW T-Cross will go on sale in Germany in April 2019. The LWB version will hit the Brazilian market in the first half of the same year.
Volkswagen is expected to unveil the vastly different T-Cross for India in late 2020 and open sales in 2021.