Pointers from the press conference
- Target - 8% global share of the passenger car market in 2016 and 8% profitability
- Fluctuation of currency, Thailand floods and Japanese earthquake affected production
- Nissan Sunny - 185k units already sold in China, 15k units delivered in India since September 2011, Thailand, Mexico, Brazil - car has received many awards
- 284k units of the Nissan Sunny sold in high growth markets
- Sales outlets in India now at 60 centers
- Capacity ramped up from 2 lakh - 4 lakh units at Oragadam - Indonesia, Mexico, Brazil and China - production has been expanded.
- We wanted to satisfy growth in high growth markets - Solution - it has now come to a stage where we can announce it.
Return of Datsun brand - Why
- BRIC markets doubled volumes between 2006 to 2011. 60% will be the volumes contribution from BRIC countries; Economic growth will lead to motorization
- Customers aspiring for new and specific products - Datsun will cater to this request.
- Blue bar striking through the rising sun is the logo of the revived Datsun - energy coming from rising sun, blue bar reflects sincerity, oval shape stands for robust reliability and trust, Outer edge - modernity in the brand logo, the logo overall is a rising sun.
- Hexagonal grille on the car will have the Datsun logo (shown above)
- Up and coming customers in high growth markets - aspiring for a new car, first time car buyers - are going to be offered with Datsun
- Datsun brand will promise reliability, durability and accessibility - with modern design - peace of mind that is affordable
- Three pillars of Datsun - Engagement in driving experience, peace of mind and accessibility
- Light weight cars - fuel efficient and handles well
What are the target market segment?
- Core offer for Datsun will be under 4 lakh rupees - First two products will be manufactured at the Oragadam plant in Chennai
- India, Russia and Indonesia are the three main markets, and the markets to start with
- Local engineering, high parts localization will lead to launch of two Datsun models within one year starting from 2014. 1/3 to half of Nissan sales in India and Indonesia and Russia will be from Datsun.
- Renault Nissan alliance CEO Carlos Ghosn says - Datsun brand - Addressing consumers who are buying used cars, or riding motorcycles, or buying a car with antiquated technology or platform - Affordable but modern products
- Launch of the Datsun is also part of the Green Car Program, which could make up 40% of the Indonesian market