Image Update: Report – Chevrolet Sail launched at Rs. 4.99 Lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi)
Nithyanandh K, As a toddler, those wheeled machinery fascinated me even before I knew what they’re called as! So here I'm, petrolhead by birth, Mechanical engineer by qualification and automotive reporter by profession!
After covering a claimed 6.3 million km of testing and falling prey to many readers’ lenses, the Chevrolet Sail notchback is officially here!
GM India, today has launched the Chevrolet Sail notchback in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore simultaneously. We are covering the event from both Delhi and Mumbai.
The sedan is touted to be a very important launch for GM India since it has been vested with a challenging responsibility of replacing two models that belong to different segments. We are talking about the departed Chevy Aveo and the Optra Magnum.
The Sail sedan, which is the first launch of GM India this year enters the B-Segment which witnesses sales of around 40,000 sedans every month in India. The sedan is available in 7 exterior color options – Velvet Red, Switchblade Silver, Summit White, Caviar Black, Linen Beige, Sandrift Grey and Misty Lake.
Features of Chevrolet Sail sedan
- 1.3 litre SDE SMARTECH diesel engine which puts out 78 PS/205 Nm and has a fuel economy of 22.1 kmpl
- 1.2 litre SMARTECH petrol motor generates 86 PS/113 Nm and has a fuel economy of 18.2 kmpl
- The 1.3 litre SDE engine is mated to 5 speed F17 transmission. The engine and transmission were worked upon by GM’s Bengaluru Technical Center to make it suitable for India
- Engine immobilizer, central locking, speed sensitive automatic door lock and remote key less entry
- Music system with Bluetooth capability which can pair five devices
- Dual airbags and ABS with EBD
- Measures 4.2m in length, 1.69m in width, 1.5m in height, 2.46m in wheelbase
- The ground clearance stands at 168mm for diesel and 174mm for petrol
- Boot space of 370 litres
Chevrolet Sail sedan Variants and Prices (ex-showroom Delhi introductory prices)
Base variant – Rs. 4.99 lakhs
LS – Rs. 5.49 lakhs
LS ABS – Rs. 5.70 lakhs
LT ABS – Rs. 6.41 lakhs
Base variant – Rs. 6.29 lakhs
LS – Rs. 6.59 lakhs
LS ABS – Rs. 6.80 lakhs
LT ABS – Rs. 7.51 lakhs
The Chevrolet Sail comes with a 3 year/ 1,00,000 km standard warranty. The engine and transmission get a 5 year / 1,50,000 km warranty. The Chevrolet Promise which takes care of the maintenance cost for 3 years / 45,000 km is also on offer and is expected to be one of the strengths of the sedan.
The Chevrolet Sail sedan is the most exported sedan from China but will it replicate its success in India too? Considering that the Sail U-VA hatchback, in its initial months has managed to clock only about 10% of Maruti Swift’s sales numbers, the Sail notchback has even more weight to bare on its shoulders.