Fiat is all set to unveil the Freemont SUV at Geneva Motorshow in March – its first product that is a result of the Fiat – Chrysler JV. The SUV will be on sale in Europe by the beginning of June this year.
The Freemont is a 7 seater SUV built on the Dodge Journey platform. Fiat has slotted its own engine under the bonnet – a 2.0-liter MultiJet turbo diesel with 140 or 170 horsepower. Initially the SUV will only be available in front wheel drive but a four-wheel drive and auto-equipped 168bhp model will follow suit.
The SUV is equipped is equipped with:
- Active head restraints
- Electronic stability control (ESC) with all-speed traction control
- Electronic roll mitigation and brake assist
- New driver-side knee blocker airbag
- Supplemental side-curtain airbags covering all three rows
- Supplemental front-seat-mounted side airbags
- Our’s-wheel anti-lock disc brakes
- LATCH child seat anchor system
- Trailer sway control.
This SUV is (as of now) only limited to US and Europe. But Fiat needs a SUV under its portfolio in India. After all, all the major manufacturers have got one already under their sleeves.
Currently, Fiat India only has 2 products under its portfolio – Linea and Punto. Clearly, a portfolio which is this small in not a sign of a company that wants to play in the long run.
And considering Fiat’s plans of establishing a fully dedicated sales network India, a SUV like the Freemont must find its way pretty soon.