India-bound 2016 VW Tiguan reaches dealers in Germany
Posted on: May 12, 2016 - 3:08pm IST
Priced from €25,975 (INR 19,75,629).
Following its world premiere at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show in September last year, the 2016 VW Tiguan finally started reaching dealerships just weeks back in Europe. The second generation VW Tiguan is available in ten configurations in the company’s home market.
The second generation VW Tiguan is the first Volkswagen crossover to be based on the MQB (Modular Transverse Matrix platform) platform. The German-spec 2016 VW Tiguan measures 4,486 mm in length, 1,839 mm (2,099 mm with door mirrors) in width and 2,084 mm (2,095 mm with 4MOTION all-wheel drive system) in height, and has a wheelbase of 2,677 mm. The weight has been reduced by over 50 kg from the previous Tiguan, while the boot capacity has been increased from 1,510 litres to 1,655 litres. Even with the rear seats up, there’s 615 litres of cargo space available.
The 2016 VW Tiguan’s model variations revolve around the engine, transmission and the 4MOTION all-wheel drive system availability. In all, 6 engine options are retailed:
- 1.4-litre TSI turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine – 92 kW (125 PS/123 hp), 200 Nm of torque
- 1.4-litre TSI turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine – 110 kW (150 PS/147 hp), 250 Nm of torque
- 2.0-litre TSI turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine – 132 kW (180 PS/177 hp), 320 Nm of torque
- 2.0-litre TDI turbocharged four-cylinder diesel engine – 85 kW (115 PS/114 hp), 320 Nm of torque
- 2.0-litre TDI turbocharged four-cylinder diesel engine – 110 kW (150 PS/147 hp), 340 Nm of torque
- 2.0-litre TDI turbocharged four-cylinder diesel engine – 140 kW (190 PS/188 hp), 400 Nm of torque
The German-spec 2016 VW Tiguan is listed with three transmission choices: 6-speed manual, 6-speed DSG dual-clutch and 7-speed DSG dual-clutch.
VW India had showcased the new Tiguan at the Auto Expo in February. Expected to launch towards the end of the year in India, a report said that it would use CKD manufacturing.