Product Deep Dive – Audi R10
Kaustubh Shinde, They say sooner or later your passion finds you. Sometime in late 2009, I started writing for IAB and ever since then it has been a roller coaster ride for me. An amazing experience that has taught me a lot, taken me to new places, driven some great cars and met some amazing people. When you don't find me on IAB (very rarely), you will find me either at a coffee shop or an eatery or at the nearest gadget store.Hope you enjoy IAB as much as we do!
Audi’s current halo car the R8 isn’t quite befitting to sit on the throne. The Audi R8 competes against the likes of MP4-12C, Porsche 911, Ferrari 458 Italia et al. Notice something common in the competition? None of them are really halo cars for their respective brand.
Clearly, Audi needs a rival for Mclaren P1, LaFerrari, and Porsche 918
The boys at Ingolstadt are busy working on a new halo car for Audi. Tentatively called the Audi R10, the new halo car is being developed to showcase Audi’s Le mans winning technology on the road. Here are all the details of the Audi R10 –
- Internally known as project Scorpion, the R10 is expected to have a limited production run of 333 units.
- The Scorpion will be based on Audi R18’s carbon-fiber monocoque which will be reinforced using aluminum. Suspension and other chassis components will be made from carbon-fiber to keep the car feather light.
- The design of R10 is yet to be finalized but speculation on the internet says that most of design will be borrowed from Audi’s R18 Le mans car.
- The R10 will be endowed with advanced aerodynamics to keep it stable at speeds above 400 km/hr.
- It will be powered by a 24-valve, 3.7 liter diesel engine mated to two electric motors. The combined output should reach close to 700 bhp.
- The diesel engine will power the rear wheels and the electric motors will power the front ones.
- The monstrous power output will be sent to the wheels via a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission and a torque vectoring Quattro system.
- The R10 is expected to make its production debut in 2016 or maybe even 2017