Mercedes A Class to invade India next month?

Posted on: Apr 26, 2013 - 11:25am IST

The Mercedes A Class is having a dream start globally, becoming the most successful launch in the car maker’s illustrious history.

Mercedes A Class effects

MB India is set to make a bold move in creating a new luxury hatchback segment with the introduction of the A Class. We Indians love the extra box of sheet metal attached to the back of a car and it will be interesting to know what sort of reception will be given to a hatchback that is expected to be more expensive than executive sedans like the Skoda Superb and VW Passat.

SVP Mercedes A Class tweet

According to a tweet from NDTV 24×7’s Car & Bike Show host Mr. Siddharth Vinayak Patankar, the Mercedes A Class could be here in the month of May, three months in advance than originally planned. He also says that the models earmarked for India are the A180 petrol and diesel variants with automatic transmissions.

The A180 petrol variant is powered by a 1.6L turbocharged engine which is good for 122PS while the oil burner is a 109PS 1.5 litre unit. The latter is nothing but the Renault K9K motor!

Mercedes is not aiming to lure the D Segment sedan buyers with the A Class, so expect a premium pricing that preserves the brand image. The main target audience are people who already own a luxury car. The Mercedes A Class will lock horns with the BMW 1 Series which is also India bound.

[Source: SVP’s Twitter handle]

Next would you like to read more about the or more about Mercedes-Benz?

12 thoughts on “Mercedes A Class to invade India next month?

1. VJ says:

@Mohit : bro..get the A45 AMG…hehe..:D;)

2. Mohit says:

I was waiting for the A class launch. I currently drive a skoda laura, and was planning to buy this when it comes but I was informed that the A200 Cdi will come to india that has 136 Bhp engine made by mercedes. A180 will be a disappointment. Now I am confused, should i buy this or look elsewhere,like the v40.

1. sid says:

exactly! a merc with the duster’s engine!

1. Cha says:

It’ll not be Renault’s engine.. it will be 2150 cc 110 bhp engine.. Merc’s own!!!

2. Mohit says:

@ cha Its a 1.5 litre engine..109 Bhp

2. abuna ventana says:

but its not actually the ‘engine’ that plays role..
      what about the ‘brand’, ‘snob value’, ‘tech’, and ‘safety features’? -and after all this is a small car with big engine.
      drive the a class and you will be again 10 years younger than in a laura, for sure.. jealous that you can buy one!!

1. Mohit says:

Haha!! I know that the “A” class will carry the mercedes tag, but I dont want it to feel like a disappointment at a later stage.. I want a diesel car only so no A45 AMG.
        I want to ask the GURUs, heres my situation” I am 25 years old, Single and have a budget of 20-25 Lacs Max(on road)” I prefer brand value and practicality is not a big concern. I want a car that attracts attention, is fun to drive and make me feel special every time i step in. I am buying in June. Please recommend. It will be great help.

2. Anjan Ravi says:

Hi Mohit,

Engine specification of the A Class is still unconfirmed, so I would wait for the official specifications and numbers.
        If that doesn’t suit you, you should definitely wait for the BMW 1 Series hatch. Being a rear wheel drive, it will certainly be a fun car to drive. Expected by end of this year.
        If you need a punchy diesel, the Volvo V40 Cross Country is worth waiting for. Should be here by July – August!

3. Mohit says:

@ Anjan : Thanks so much.. I cant wait for the 1 series but can definitely wait for the v40. I appreciate ur help.

3. Merc says:

Mohit – I believe you should go ahead and buy Bajaj Auto – Cheap and best 🙂

4. Sudarshan_SMD says:

“I want a car that attracts attention, is fun to drive and make me feel special every time i step in.”

hmmm…I’d say Mini Cooper to the list. It will overshoot your budget though.