Pointers from yesterday’s Chevrolet Cruze press conference – What did they say?
Shakti Budhiraja, Forget about love, I Dream, Sleep and Eat with cars...
GM India launched a more powerful and more refined Chevrolet Cruze yesterday in Delhi. The 2.0L engine has received modifications to make it smoother, powerful, quicker and quieter. Changes have also been made to the car’s gearbox.
Though there’s nothing “All-New” about the Chevrolet Cruze (GM India’s literature and marketing departments have to calm down. Calling a Chevrolet Captiva facelift as the “next generation Captiva” two days ago was silly), the improvements will do a world of good to the Cruze’s ongoing efforts to maintain market leadership.
About the Chevrolet Cruze:
- More than 1 million examples have been sold worldwide since its introduction in 2009
- Cruze is the largest selling car in the world in the General Motors portfolio
Current Market scenario:
- Cruze has been the market leader in the diesel category in its segment since its introduction
- B segment cars have been the most hit in the current market scenario
- The MUV segment is the most promising segment in the country with more than 50% growth YOY
- The automobile market is under intense pressure with rising petrol prices, high inflation and rupee depreciation
- General Motors doesn’t see any positive growth except for the festive season, unless the interest rates are brought down
Future expectations from GM:
- Next launch will be Sail hatchback in a couple of months followed by Sail Notchback. The Enjoy MPV will come in during the festive season
- Sail hatchback and Sail notchback will replace the Aveo siblings
- Sail hatchback will be christened Sail U-VA and the sedan will be called as Sail
- Sail siblings & Enjoy will be offered with both petrol and diesel engines
- The 1.3 liter Fiat Multijet diesel will be doing duty in the Sail siblings and Enjoy in different calibrations
- Sail Hatchback will be offered with the same 1.2L Smartech petrol engine