List of 5 important milestones of the Maruti Swift; 5 million sold globally
Posted on: Apr 11, 2016 - 4:13pm IST
Suzuki Motor Corporation (SMC) has announced that worldwide sales of the Swift nameplate has touched the 5 million mark. India accounts for 54% of that number, with over 2.7 million units of the Maruti Swift and Maruti Swift Dzire sold so far.
Here are 5 important milestones of the Maruti Swift:
1. 2004 Paris Motor Show: Suzuki showcases the Concept Swift (Concept S), which influences the styling of the production model. Prior to this, Suzuki showcased the Concept S2 at the 2003 Frankfurt Motor Show and the rally-inspired Concept S at the 2002 Paris show.
2. 2005 May: Maruti introduces the Swift hatchback in India. Powered by a 1.3L petrol engine, the Swift becomes a runaway success owing to its styling, performance and features.
3. 2007: Maruti launches the Swift Diesel, powered by the Fiat-sourced 1.3-liter MultiJet unit. Nearly 10 years later, the Swift continues to offer this engine option in the Indian market.
4. 2011 August: Maruti launches the next-generation Swift in India. Its a design evolution over its predecessor, and continues offering the 1.2L petrol and 1.3L diesel engines.
5. 2013 September: Over 1 million units of the Swift have been sold in India alone, since its launch in 2005. Sales of the hatchback have exponentially grown over the years, and the addition of a sedan (Maruti Swift Dzire) has further increased sales for the carmaker.
It is no secret that Suzuki has started working on the next generation Swift, expected to be showcased later in the year in Europe.