2014 BMW X5 makes motorshow debut at Frankfurt
Posted on: Sep 10, 2013 - 1:15pm IST
The 2014 BMW X5 made its motorshow debut here at the Frankfurt Motor Show after production began on August 1st at the Spartanburg plant in South Carolina, USA.
Variability of the interior is higher on the new generation model, with features like a 40 : 20 : 40 split/folding rear seat backrest, boot volume that varies between 650-1,870 litres, automatic tailgate operation that comes as standard, and an additional third row of seats that is an optional extra.
BMW claims to have decreased fuel consumption by using techniques like weight minimization, a more aerodynamic body, a standard eight-speed automatic gearbox and Idle-Stop function. The engine adheres to EU6 rating.
The 2014 X5 gets an ocean of features and the headlines are –
- BMW Head-Up Display with a complete spectrum of colours.
- BMW Night Vision with human and animal detection.
- New BMW Parking Assistant with longitudinal and lateral guidance.
- Surround View with 360-degree display.
- Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (that brakes to a standstill)
- 10.25-inch Control Display for the iDrive operating system. iDrive operated via a touch-sensitive surface.
- Bang & Olufsen High End Surround Sound System
The 2014 BMW X5 is available with the following engine options –
- 3.0-liter TwinPower Turbo inline six-cylinder on the X5 sDrive35i and X5 xDrive35i variants which develops a maximum output of 300hp @ 5,800 rpm, and maximum torque of 406Nm available from 1,200–5,000 rpm.
- 4.4-liter TwinPower turbocharged V-8 engine on the xDrive 50i variant that develops a max power of 445 hp between 5,500 and 6,000 rpm and a maximum torque of 650Nm between 2,000 and 4,500 rpm.
- The xDrive35d variant gets a 3-liter diesel engine that generates 255 hp and maximum torque of 560Nm between 1,500 and 3,000 rpm.
We expect BMW India to introduce the new X5 in India next year. More details about the 2014 BMW X5 can be found here.