Geneva Live – Production spec Volkswagen XL1 showcased
Posted on: Mar 5, 2013 - 9:51pm IST
The Volkswagen XL1 Super Efficient Vehicle has graced many auto shows in the past but this time Geneva Motor Show witnesses the presence of the production version of the car.
Claimed to be the most efficient car in the world, the XL1 takes you as long as 111 km for a litre of fuel! With the electric hybrid system, the two seater can travel for 50 km in pure electric mode.
The XL1 will be produced at VW’s Osnabrueck factory in Germany. Here are some salient features of the diesel hybrid car.
- Plug-in hybrid system with 2 cylinder 48 PS TDI diesel engine and 27 PS electric motor with Li-ion battery pack
- 7-speed dual clutch automatic transmission
- Top speed electronically limited to 160 kmph
- 0-100 kmph in 12.7 seconds
- CO2 emission of just 21 g/km
- Fuel economy of 111 kmpl
- Tips the scale at 795 kg
- Low coefficient of drag of 0.189
- 3,888 mm long, 1,665 mm wide and 1,153 mm tall (shorter than a Polo and lower than a Porsche Boxter!)
- Carbon fiber monocoque, and CFRP body shells are made by Resin Transfer Moulding (RTM) manufacturing process
The VW XL1 emerges as an epitome of energy efficiency but the package comes at huge price. However, the know-how of the highly efficient diesel hybrid technology is sure to benefit VW in bringing more affordable similar models in the future.