More details of Honda’s compact SUV hit the web
Kaustubh Shinde, They say sooner or later your passion finds you. Sometime in late 2009, I started writing for IAB and ever since then it has been a roller coaster ride for me. An amazing experience that has taught me a lot, taken me to new places, driven some great cars and met some amazing people. When you don't find me on IAB (very rarely), you will find me either at a coffee shop or an eatery or at the nearest gadget store.Hope you enjoy IAB as much as we do!
While the Honda CR-V may be one of the finest soft roaders on the market, it’s slightly higher sticker price is not everyone’s cup of tea.
As newer and newer compact SUVs hits the market, the need of the hour is a smaller, cheaper SUV with an ‘H’ badge.
Earlier this year, Honda evinced interest in entering the fast growing compact SUV segment. The Japanese automaker presented the Concept Urban SUV at the 2013 Detroit Motor Show as a teaser of their SUV plans.
Now, thanks to CarandDriver Brazil, we have some juicy details of the upcoming Jazz-based crossover.
- The Jazz based compact SUV will be primarily developed for emerging economies but will be sold in developed markets such as U.S, Japan and some parts of Europe.
- The compact SUV will definitely be sold in the US but will not be built on US soil. It may be imported from either Mexico or Argentina.
- To keep the sticker price in-check, it will be built on a modular platform that will also support the next generation Jazz and City. The new platform is expected to have some advanced telematics.
- It will be 4.30 m in length and will sit slightly higher than the next generation Jazz thanks to an 18 inch wheels set up.
- The task of developing the compact crossover has been entrusted to Honda Brazil. Incidentally, even the EcoSport was developed by Ford’s Brazilian subsidiary.
- While the compact SUV will be a spiritual successor to HR-V – Honda’s first attempt at a compact SUV, it may be endowed with a completely new name.
- The design of the new compact SUV will be very much influenced by the Concept Urban SUV. It will be futuristic enough to rival the likes of Ford’s EcoSport and Chevrolet Trax
- It will be true to Honda’s ‘Man Maximum, Machine minimum’ philosophy and will feature Honda’s trademark Magic Seat arrangement. The magic seat arrangement will allow for a very flexible interior with a number of different seating configurations. You can also have a flat floor for maximum cargo capacity.
- The engine options are still a matter of speculation. While dimensions of the Concept Urban SUV dictate that a 1.8L engine is very much necessary, Honda might fit a high performance 1.5L engine to provide a better fuel economy. A 1.6L i-DTEC diesel engine will perform the oil burner duties. Whatever the engine options may be, they are most certain to feature Honda’s trademark EarthDreams technology.
- Expect Honda’s Compact SUV to debut in 2015 alongside the all-new Jazz and City.