Product Deep Dive – Mercedes GLA45 AMG
Kaustubh Shinde, They say sooner or later your passion finds you. Sometime in late 2009, I started writing for IAB and ever since then it has been a roller coaster ride for me. An amazing experience that has taught me a lot, taken me to new places, driven some great cars and met some amazing people. When you don't find me on IAB (very rarely), you will find me either at a coffee shop or an eatery or at the nearest gadget store.Hope you enjoy IAB as much as we do!
Mercedes’s onslaught of the MFA platform will see 7 products in the coming 5 years. The most important one will definitely be the Mercedes GLA. The Mercedes GLA will compete against BMW’s most successful crossover X1. We have comprehensively detailed the Mercedes GLA over here.
Today we are going to talk about the performance version of the GLA called as the GLA45 AMG. The idea of GLA45 AMG is to cater to the lower value performance market.
Here are the details that we are aware of –
- Codenamed X 156, GLA45 AMG is the performance version of the GLA.
- The GLA will be built on the MFA platform and will maintain the wheelbase of the A-Class.
- The GLA45 AMG will benefit from the new aggressive look planned for future AMG models.
- It will benefit from a number of AMG enhancements such as AMG styling, the double exhausts, bigger air intakes, bigger brakes and the revised front and rear design.
- It will be powered by a 2.0-litre turbo engine which produces 350bhp and more than 400Nm of torque. The 0-100 kmph time should come in at around 5.0 seconds.
- Power will be sent to all four wheels via an AMG SPEEDSHIFT DCT seven-speed dual-clutch transmission.
- It will feature a custom sports suspension as well as electromechanical AMG speed-sensitive steering.
- It will be made at a Mercedes plant in Kecskemet, Hungary.
- Official debut is expected in 2014.