Spicy details of the 2014 Audi A4 emerge on the cyberspace
Kaustubh Shinde, They say sooner or later your passion finds you. Sometime in late 2009, I started writing for IAB and ever since then it has been a roller coaster ride for me. An amazing experience that has taught me a lot, taken me to new places, driven some great cars and met some amazing people. When you don't find me on IAB (very rarely), you will find me either at a coffee shop or an eatery or at the nearest gadget store.Hope you enjoy IAB as much as we do!
Audi’s bread and butter model A4 may have been recently facelifted, but talks have already started on an all-new model for 2014 or 2015.
Though the facelifted A4 managed to get some eye balls in a rather competitive segment, it just couldn’t pull away from the all new BMW 3 Series. Clearly, the Ingolstadt giant is not pleased!
Carmagazine.co.uk today brings us an exclusive insight on what to expect from the next generation Audi A4:
- Codenamed the B9, the 2014 Audi A4 will be based on the MLB Evo platform making its lighter and more flexible. It will be 100 kg lighter than its predecessor suggesting a kerb weight of 1330kg.
- Thanks to the strict diet, Audi has promised that the new A4 will benefit from a better performance, handling, economy and emissions making it an all round package.
- Apart from being lighter and flexible, the new MLB Evo components will also make the chassis stronger and stiffer
- The design will be derived from the elder sister Audi A6. Expect sharp creases and aggressive front fascia in the A4.
- Audi is also planning its first plug-in hybrid system on the new A4. It will feature two electric motors delivering a combined 136bhp to power the rear wheels. The new hybrid system will allow the new A4 to travel 20 miles of silent e-running around town in rear-wheel drive mode. It will also feature the new e-Quattro system which will part ways with the the mechanical diff and propshafts in favor of an electrically driven rear axle.
- A conventional FWD drive plug-in hybrid will also be on offer. It will feature a 226bhp 2.0-litre petrol engine mated to a 35bhp electric motor integrated in the transmission housing.
- For fossil fuel lovers, fire power on the 2014 Audi A4 will be delivered by –
- 2.0-litre TSI petrol with 225bhp
- 2.0-litre TDI rated at 197bhp
- Both engines are compliant to Euro VI norms
- Audi also has plans for a an Avant model (station wagon for non Audi fans) scheduled for a debut in 2015. There are also plans for a SuperAvant which is expected to be a station wagon with a sloping roofline and more powerful engine.