Hyundai Eon – Studio shots
Shrawan Raja, I'm the Founder & CEO of IndianAutosBlog.com. I love teamwork and talking about cars.
Hyundai launched the 814cc Eon hatchback today afternoon and the rush at dealers is starting to build up. While many of us predicted a starting price of under 2.5 lakh rupees, Hyundai has pushed it to 2.69 possibly after it received a load of positive praise from critics and customers.
The Eon, though priced lower, is a better buy compared to the Santro with better interiors and plenty of useful features. The plastic quality, fit and finish are best in class. But Hyundai is clever not to spec it up to the brim. Despite this we are going to see many Santro owners switching over to the Eon.
The three advantages the Santro has over Eon –
- Option of LPG and CNG
- 1-liter engine with higher outputs (63PS/89Nm compared to 56PS/75Nm)
- Resale value
Three advantages Eon has over Santro
- Fluidic design language makes Santro look like the original Godrej Bero
- Price advantage (2.69-3.75 lakh compared to 2.84-3.96 lakh)
- Better fuel economy (21.1 kmpl)
In the next three years, we expect to see Hyundai making these moves (purely speculative)
- Introduce LPG variant (caught on test) and CNG variant. Will they bring a sub-1 liter diesel?
- Launch 1.0-liter petrol engine variant (possibly the Kappa-based petrol motor used on the export market i10)
- Offer features like height-adjustable driver seat, Bluetooth connectivity, steering-mounted audio controls, etc – Listen to the customer and upgrade variants
- By doing so replace the Santro range
We’d like to see how this impacts sales of Alto brand. The Alto is India’s best selling car and manages 25k+ units every month. We’re also keeping a close watch on the Santro sales. How much will the Eon cannibalize Santro sales?
The Eon does more good than bad. It increases footfalls at dealerships. This is the time Santro and i10 sales executives need to be alert at dealers.
Hyundai Eon Studio shots
can’t see the slideshow above? Visit the Hyundai Eon Gallery page to view directly.