In the next few months, there will be two Mercedes-powered SUVs in India that won’t be sold by Mercedes Benz. Scratching your head? The first one is the Force Motors One that will rely on the current C-Class’s 2.2L 4cyl CRDI engine. The second is the Ssangyong Rexton, based on a previous generation M-Class using a 2.7L 162hp turbocharged CRDI.
Indian auto major Mahindra acquired the Korean car maker Ssangyong last year and since then Ssangyongs are being tested in India. Mahindra is interested in bringing Rexton and the newly launched Korando C to our market. These cars have been spied by IAB readers in the past (Korando C spy shots, Rexton spy snaps). Although we can easily find interior snaps of the cars on the internet, we’re interested in seeing actual pictures of the India spec car to spot the customization level.
Our friends at Motoroids have brought to surface a shed load of information on the Rexton. Using detailed interior shots, Motoroids explains features which we will use in our version.
Nothing changes on the exteriors and everything is as it is. On the interiors beige seats, partially beige dashboard and faux wood inserts on the steering wheel and dashboard add spice. Indians love chrome and beige and will feel delighted in a Rexton. Second row passengers get dedicated air-con vents.
We also got to see that the car being tested had an automatic transmission. The car spotted was the top of the line 270SPR variant which comes with Mercedes Benz 5 speed T-Tronic transmission and full time 4WD though variants with lower specifications are also available.
The Rexton will be more of a premium SUV with class leading engine power and torque, thanks to Mercedes power, pitched against Ford Endeavour, Chevrolet Captiva, etc. The 5 seat Korando C would be an ideal alternative to the Ford Endeavour and the Tata Safari Merlin. The Rexton is known for its good build quality, equally good on and off road capabilities and an attractive price while the Korando C’s design and updated interiors stand out.
Here are the complete list of features on the Ssangyong Rexton –
• Extremely low loading lip for the hatch
• Rear wiper and demister
• Roof rails
• Rear and front parking sensors
• High mount brake warning lamp
• Real Time All Wheel Drive
• Wraparound quarter glasses flanking the rear windscreen for style
• Fog lamps
• Projector headlamp
• Stepping board for easy ingress
• Side rub rails, with chrome strip below it
• Body colored door handles
• Flared wheel arches, for a brawny appearance
• 10 Spoke 18 inch alloy wheel P255 / 60R 18 (for the top spec version caught testing). Lower spec models come with 16” wheels
• A/C vents for second and third row
• Third row has decent leg room, though does not have proper seats
• Cruise control
• Electric windows (front & rear)
• Power folding door mirrors
• Electrically adjustable door mirrors
• Leather steering wheel
• Headlight leveling system
• Centre storage console
• Two 12V DC power outlets
• Heated windscreen
• Remote keyless entry
• Space saver spare wheel
• Seatbelt reminder
• Auto climate control air conditioning
• Steering wheel audio controls
• Kenwood Double Din single CD, RDS Radio with USB – 6 Speakers
• (Optional) Kenwood Full touch-screen single CD, RDS Radio with navigation
• Leather upholstery
• Front seat 4-way head restraints
• 60:40 split folding 2nd row of seats
• Luggage cover & net barrier
• Front sun visors with illuminated passenger mirror
• ABS with EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution)
• ESP (Electronic Stability Programme) with ARP (Active Rollover Protection)
• HDC (Hill Descent Control)
• Door impact beams
• Dual airbags (front)
• Side airbags (front)
• Disc brakes on all 4 wheels
• Speed sensing power assisted steering
• Alarm & immobilizer
• Mercedes Benz 5-speed T-Tronic automatic
How much would you pay for a Ssangyong Rexton in India?
[Source – Motoroids.com]