This is the two millionth truck of Tata Motors’ Jamshedpur factory
Kaustubh Shinde, They say sooner or later your passion finds you. Sometime in late 2009, I started writing for IAB and ever since then it has been a roller coaster ride for me. An amazing experience that has taught me a lot, taken me to new places, driven some great cars and met some amazing people. When you don't find me on IAB (very rarely), you will find me either at a coffee shop or an eatery or at the nearest gadget store. Hope you enjoy IAB as much as we do!
On Tuesday Tata Motors celebrated a momentous occasion of rolling out the two millionth truck from its Jamshedpur plant which was set up in 1945, even before India attained its independence.
[Mr. Ravi Pisharody, Executive Director, Commercial Vehicles Business Unit, Mr. Ajoy Lall, Head, Jamshedpur Plant and Mr. Karl Slym, Managing Director, Tata Motors, at the celebrations]
The jubilee vehicle is a yellow Prima truck, the most advanced model series built at the Jamshedpur facility.
The key features of this facility are –
- The plant manufactures over 200 truck variants of Tata Motors’ huge range of medium and heavy commercial vehicles ranging from multi-axle trucks, tractor-trailers, tippers, mixers and special application vehicles.
- The plant supplies to South Africa, Russia, Myanmar, the SAARC region and the Middle East.
- It is equipped with assembly lines that can produce a truck every 5 minutes.
- It houses a world class design and engineering centre.
- It has an engine assembly shop that can manufacture 200 engines per day.
- It also has a testing unit that carries out engine performance testing, indoor and outdoor vehicle testing, NVH testing, durability testing and other performance related testing.
- It has fully equipped, highly automated foundry that supplies high-grade SG Iron Castings.
- It also houses most modern forging set-ups and a Cab & Cowl Factory.