Nissan's V-Platform details revealed to Indian media
Shrawan Raja, I'm the Founder & CEO of IndianAutosBlog.com. I love teamwork and talking about cars.
Nissan today called members of the media and briefed them on the V-Platform, the architecture that Nissan's Micra will be based on. No photographs were allowed inside the screening room. The details discussed follows.
- New generation Micra or March will come in three forms - hatchback, sedan, compact/mini MPV
- V platform is a global platform. It is developed to serve customers in India and overseas
- A 3 cylinder gasoline engine will be offered on the Micra
- There was no details divulged on the diesel variant, but it is in the works
- Both manual and automatic variants will be developed in both RHD and LHD combination
- The V platform was developed in Japan starting 2005
- Micra will be launched in Thailand first in March 2010
- Micra India launch will happen in May 2010
- In 2011, the sedan variant will be launched
- In 2012, depending on the market study, the MPV will or will not be launched locally
- The car will also be manufactured in Thailand and China
- Weight of the car has been kept at minimum -- small fuel tank, light weight body and plastics replace steel at various points
- till the expected volumes are reached, Nissan will source powertrains from Japan
- An assembly line for powertrains will be sanctioned only after certain level of volume is reached
- 80% of the Micra will be localized to start with
- Nissan claims their 3 cylinder petrol engine will be "40% more fuel efficient"
- Renault has given vendor base to Nissan. Nissan has offered the V-platform to Renault, it can develop its models if desired.