Report – Aston Martin could relaunch the Lagonda as a sedan instead of an SUV
Posted on: Jul 21, 2014 - 12:00am IST
Aston Martin’s director of design Marek Reichman informs of a possible change of plans in the Lagonda’s comeback, in his latest interview with PistonHeads. Reaffirming that Aston “still have plans for the brand,” he said there might be “some surprises in the marque’s re-establishment into the market place.”
Aston Martin showcased the Lagonda SUV concept back at the 2009 Geneva Motor Show to commemorate 100th anniversary of Lagonda giving a clear signal of a brand relaunch. Since then, the possibility of the SUV to be birthed using the Mercedes GL Class platform was reported widely by the media.
As a twist, when asked about the status of the SUV, Marek said, “That was a different time,” and “It was Ulrich’s (outgoing CEO Ulrich Bez) time. And now we’re in a very, very different time, with a different plan and with a different projection of what that brand should become.”
The Lagonda could relaunch as a luxury sedan, and this claim is further backed by spyshots that emerged in recent times showing a large Aston Martin sedan with a long hood. The four-door model could directly compete with the Rolls Royce Ghost Series II and the Bentley Flying Spur. Fewer than 100 units could be made with a price to match the volume, PistonHeads speculates.
The Lagonda will be the work of the ‘Q’ customization wing of Aston Martin for the “unique coachbuilt experience and that’s probably what’s most befitting of the brand,” says Marek.
The Lagonda will launch either in 2015 or 2016. Aston Martin entered India in 2011 through appointing Performance Cars as its the official importer, and had listed the limited edition One-77 locally for sale. Given the keenness in bringing down all its new products, the Lagonda too could be available to Indian customers.
[Source – PistonHeads.com]