The A45 AMG is Mercedes’s wild child
Posted on: Feb 13, 2013 - 5:57pm IST
The hottest version of the A Class, revealed today ahead of its launch next month, is called as the A45 AMG. In one sentence, it is a car with a staggering combination of power and performance.
Unlike most AMG models that use V8s and V12s, this baby Merc uses a microscopic 2.0L turbo petrol engine.
However, this tiny little engine generates 355bhp at 6,000 rpm and 450Nm between 2,250-5,000rpm, in short, the highest horsepower-per-litre figure for any mass produced car.
To nail all those horses down, Mercedes provided the A45 AMG with a seven-speed dual-clutch autobox and a 4MATIC all-wheel drive system.
With this sort of a ballistic nuclear missile under the bonnet, the A45 AMG can rocket to 100 kmph in a staggering Porsche 911-rivalling 4.6 seconds and will keep on pushing until it hits its an electronically limited top speed of 250km/h while comfortably returning 14.45 kmpl – it is really one complete package!
The Affalterbach engineers have also blessed the A45 AMG with
- AMG sports exhaust system
- AMG 4MATIC all-wheel drive with the three-stage ESP
- ESP Curve Dynamic Assist
- AMG sports suspension with independent front and rear axle
- AMG speed-sensitive sports steering
- AMG high-performance braking system.
To distinguish the AMG model from usual variants, there are a few key styling updates. It features –
- A signature AMG twin-blade radiator grille with bold three-point star badge
- A large front splitter
- Massive air intake vents
- Aerodynamic wing mirrors
- Side skirt inserts
- Rear diffuser
- 18-inch titanium grey alloy wheels
- ‘Turbo AMG’ badges over the front wheel arches
In the cabin, you get –
- Leather or microfibre sports seats with red contrast stitching
- Multi-function steering wheel with shift paddles
- Carbon fibre-look dashboard panel
- Red seatbelts
- AMG instrument cluster with color display and Racetimer function
[can’t see the video above? Head over to Youtube]
The A45 AMG will make its public debut at the Geneva Motor Show and should cost around £36,000 (approximately 26.12 lakhs INR). It will compete against existing hot hatches from the Germans such as BMW M135i and Audi RS3.
We asked Mr. Eberhard Kern, the Managing Director of MB India, his thoughts on the A45 AMG and the CLA 45 AMG when we met him last month and this is what he thought –
The A45 (AMG) and the CLA45 (AMG), I can’t tell you the technical details on this juncture but this will be revolutionary. It’s a perfect engine by the AMG colleagues…for every sports car we have to take in to account the road conditions but yes I could really imagine this interests Indian customers.